Monday, June 24, 2013

SOS Week 5

Week 5 - Personal Reflections:

This week, I helped in a few different areas in the hospital to show additional ways I may be of service. In the cardiology/radiology department, I worked in the reception office where several women process, organize, and communicate patients' data. I helped scan wetreads, x-rays, and other documents into the patients' digital files. I also worked in the Auxiliary office one day this week, as I occasionally do. The main tasks are “discharging” patients and transporting lab specimens. 
Based on the compliments I've been receiving from staff, fellow volunteers, and patients, I believe I am accomplishing my goal of being uplifting, professional, helpful, and resourceful. As the director of volunteers services phrased it, "There's the gold standard, and then there's Audrey's standard." What a compliment! I can achieve such a standard because I enjoy coming into the hospital each day. It's not always the most exciting (thankfully, because that means the patients are doing fairly well), but it is rewarding to know that I am making life a little bit easier for these busy doctors, nurses, and for the patients, too. Several patients have complained about the lack of communication from the doctors. However, the doctors don't really have the time to update the family members every half hour. So I help try to respect people's time by making calls to the nurses to see how the patients are doing and to get a time estimate. People appreciate the communication that way they can make plans around the circumstance, even if those plans may simply be going to the cafĂ© for a coffee or lunch. 
Being able to give a positive personal reflection is what should be the goal of every person in any circumstance of life. I strive to be my best at every moment and, when I make mistakes, I remember the feeling that comes along with it, and simply learn from it. It is through this process that I am able to grow, succeed and reach happiness. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment