Thursday, June 13, 2013

SOS Week 3

Week 3 - Relationships in Communities:

My third week volunteering at IRMC has been more interesting than the last. I received many compliments on my cheerful behavior, bright smile, and consistent work. It was nice to receive a little bit of praise and recognition. More so, I enjoyed simply serving others.
One's quality of service and interaction with others is important to the quality of life and wellbeing for all. Each person's behavior sets an example for each other person in return. What I am getting at is even when a person become impatient with me this week due to their having to wait for a longer-than-desirable amount of time at the hospital, I responded kindly and respectfully. I tried to be helpful and understanding of the patient's situation. In return, the patient calmed down and I felt confident that I set an example of good behavior. Everyday situations such as these make an impact on the relationships citizens hold with each other. Responding properly maintains peace, shows love and consideration, and allows for cooperation and growth within a community. 
On the bright side, I met many more patients and their family members with whom I enjoyed chatting and were a pleasure to meet. And the most exciting part of the week was being invited to observe a cardiac catherization procedure by the doctor in the CATH department. Two other interns, some staff, and I watched through a large window as the doctor and his assistants maneuvered various catherization tubes around the man's heart. We were in a sort of control room with computer monitors displaying the live images of the man's heart. The doctor and patient were in the operating room, where they wore lead aprons to protect themselves from the radiation (which is why I wasn't in there). The doctor would call out data about the patient that the other doctor in the control room could here through a speaker. She recorded the data into the computer and compiled all of the necessary information to conclude whether the condition of the patient's cardiovascular system was desirable or if he was at risk for experiencing clogged arteries, a stroke, heart attack, or some other cardiac issue. It was all fascinating to watch and a nurse also explained to me what was happening step-by-step. In this case, the man's results showed that he was not at any major risk of a heart condition. However, just at the closing of this procedure, we got word that a man was on his way in an ambulance to have an emergency operation because he had just experienced a heart attack. I returned to my station at this time because I knew they would be very busy the next several hours.

It was quite the week! Best wishes to all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment