Thursday, July 19, 2012

Julie- Week 3


I went to my first SLI and had a blast!! It was a lot of work on my part, but totally worth it!!! I had some reading to do to prepare and some phone calls and emails with the foundation (Nefisah Sallim). I found out my role is the activities coordinator, but BABs do a lot more than just that. We all act as a liaison between Bonners and the foundation and we especially work with the Bonner Congress Representatives. We helped lead the Bonner Congress Track Meetings at SLI, hosted the talent show, and performed a skit that we created about community service. I also was asked to lead two workshops, one on Community-Based Research (one of my springs projects) and one I chose from a list the foundation provided (Exploring Nonprofit Careers: Debunking the Myths). I helped out wherever the foundation could use an extra hand, which ended up being Nefisah Sallim with setting up and directing with students go to have their resumes reviewed. It was a fabulous time meeting other Bonners and deepening the relationships with Bonners from our program. I had the time of my life and was inspired by all the passion for social change. Bonners are absolutely amazing people to be around and learn from! When I returned, I emailed some Bonner about service to keep networking.

Also, I joined a Work on Purpose team through Echoing Green that tests materials through workshops or one-on-one sessions. It is extremely motivating and I look forward to being a facilitator soon (hopefully lead workshops for Bonner in the fall).

No comments:

Post a Comment