Monday, July 9, 2012

Jay DeDon Week 3

I think I am losing complete track of time. I have been here for a little over a month now, and I am just now writing my week 3 post... I will stop calling them weekly posts and just label them as they are done. Session one is over!!! Those twelve days with the campers was INCREDIBLE!!!!! The eleven guys in my cabin were unbelievable, and it was extremely depressing to watch them leave. There were too many amazing moments to count! Everything from our counselor super hero dress up (Southern Magic), to our man downs, to our bed time reflection discussions. These fifteen year old kids shocked me with how mature they could be. Their willingness to participate in personal/philosophical discussions blew my mind. They formed into one open, cohesive unit. I truly was able to make an impact on these eleven guys and help develop them into better men. I was also able to help grow them musically by giving various types of lessons during my free time. They were all so willing to learn and open to new ideas. Aside from helping my guys, I was able to get some help as well. I had a free lesson with Dr. Rulli from University of Arkansas. This lesson was the most educational and inspirational lesson I have ever had. That one lesson with him helped me further my trumpet playing beyond what I could imagine! I now feel more set to be a music educator because of it. I am so sorry that I didn't write a blog every day because that would be the only way I could share enough of my experience. One day at Blue Lake is equivalent to three days in the normal world! This session was an unbelievable experience that has changed me for the better, and now I can not wait to get another cabin! Hopefully I can make as large of an impact on their lives too!

No comments:

Post a Comment