Saturday, August 31, 2013

Week 3 - Relationships in Communities

Week 3
     While working in the DeLand community, I was staying on campus in Nemec Hall. However, in preparation for the new school year and new tenants, I had to move out on the 27th and was able to finish up my hours at home in Sarasota. When I left the Boys & Girls Club I could feel a strong connection to the kids that I had been spending my time with. I noticed that between Chisholm and BGC, I have met a very large number of kids from DeLand, and that in whatever small way, I've played a part in their lives. This special relationship with these kids has provided a solid foundation for me to continue working with them and contributing to their lives throughout my four years at Stetson. Moreover, the experiences that I've had with them will help me with my future plans of starting a foundation for at-risk youth to express themselves freely through art and music.

Dameona
     Back home in Sarasota, I also felt a strong connection to the community as I volunteered with Habitat for Humanity and All Faiths Food Bank. The work that is done at Habitat is so important to the SRQ community. Habitat provides the opportunity for families with few resources to "earn" a home by completing a required amount of hard labor (in hours). I felt honored to be able to play a small role in the work they do there. Similarly, the food bank provides a crucial service to homeless and low income families in SRQ. At all three sites, what I liked the most was knowing for certain that I was making a difference in the community. Perhaps one of the most important relationships formed was with other volunteers and Bonners. I truly enjoyed being surrounded by like-minded individuals who were all actively seeking solutions to problems in the community.

No comments:

Post a Comment