Sunday, September 1, 2013

Week 2- Service Challenges

Week 2

Deonte falling asleep during lunch
     Week 2 of my summer of service really tried me in a number of ways. During the year, my regular service site is the Chisholm Center. Obviously, I'm no stranger to kids, and I know they can be a handful....but nothing could have prepared me for the chaos at Boys & Girls Club. I quickly discovered that working 10 hrs continuously every day with a large group of kids requires a certain degree of patience and the ability to brush things off quickly. The kids at the BGC were very different from the kids at Chisholm because they grew up in a rougher neighborhood. They don't always listen. The challenge this presented me with was needing to be firmer and more assertive with my treatment of the kids, while still appearing friendly.

     At Habitat for Humanity & All Faiths,  the main challenge I faced was forcing myself to be outgoing and start conversations with complete strangers.

No comments:

Post a Comment