Friday, August 2, 2013

Week 5: Personal Reflections


“When you’re living in a way that displays your uniqueness and uses your talents in that purpose, you’re living in your sweet spot.” –Max Lucado

Every person at camp has a different set of skills and talents that are not perfect alone, but when you combine all of us together to make one unit, we end up with a group that can take on anything! This summer has truly allowed me to see more and more where my talents lie. I think that I have realized this summer just how much we take for granted simply because we can. Not everyone has the same opportunities that we do, but they all deserve as much of a chance to do things and be their own person. Things as simple as leaving camp to go to the grocery store or dinner at a restaurant now involve so much more thought than before. I am constantly wondering what a family would do if a child had a certain disability in a situation. It is crazy to think about having to change the diaper of a 14 year old, but it happens, and restaurant bathrooms do not make it easy. I think I am realizing more and more how important those adaptations are to me and how much I want to improve the quality of life for all of these people.
Another thing I have learned that sometimes it is really hard for me to do what is best for the kids, because sometimes it is the opposite of what my supervisors tell me. During neurology week we had a little girl who required a great deal of care because she had multiple diagnoses including autism and fetal alcohol syndrome. It was a really challenging case, that even though she was a truly beautiful child both inside and out, required a lot of supervision. When it was our cabins turn to go to the barn, she was not responding to any of the other 6 counselors, the 4 barn supervisors, or either of the 2 nurses. She had no interest in getting on that horse. I am allergic to horses and so generally as a rule I avoid the barn and wait outside so that I do not have a reaction. However, that day I happened to walk in to bring another camper their water bottle. When the little girl saw me, she began to call out for me and ask me to come where she was. My supervisor told me not to do so because I could have a reaction, but seeing her and knowing I might be able to get her on the horse became more important to me. I knew I might have to take my inhaler later, but it would be worth it to see her riding the horse and happy. There were a couple of other instances that week when people encouraged me to take a break or walk away from her when she needed me and I completely ignored it. Looking back, I probably should have taken their advice, and I admit that for some of the situations I was probably wrong. However, at the same time, I can honestly look back at the summer and say that I put the campers first in every single situation.
Just a few more weeks left, but plenty of time to rock! “Yeah team!”J


No comments:

Post a Comment