Friday, August 30, 2013

Week 2 & 3

    Hey guys!
     
      I haven't been keeping up with my blog because there hasn't been too much happening with my summer of service. There were a lot of challenges finding ways to fill my day and gain hours at my CLA. I began summer working in the Neighborhood Center acting as a "floater"-filling bags, intake, answering phone calls, etc. I also met Nita Shmellick who runs The Community Foundation of East Central Florida. We met, and she asked me to help her with her foundations facebook and web page which has been proving more difficult than I had originally anticipated.. Nita and I also talked about community needs that I had been seeing on the site visits. I told her a little about family renew and she gave me some contact info to set up classes for those families.
     
     The most challenging thing I believe about being in DeLand was finding hours. I ended up going on some site visits with Hannah, Heather, Savannah, and Amber which was fun and interesting. I also worked at the Border Collie Rescue a bit on the weekends cleaning their shed and letting the dogs out with Anniarka. With all of that being said Ive also been building a lot of relationships through meeting community partners, working at the Neighborhood Center, and meeting the amazing Nita. It was refreshing for me to get out of the office and into the community to learn about the different providers in the area.
     
     By the third week I was really worried about my hours and the amount of time I had left at Stetson. I hadn't completed the amount I should have and I was starting to panic. It was then that I received a call from DCF (Department of Children and Families) that informed me I had been accepted into their internship program for the rest of the summer. After I received confirmation from Hannah, I packed my things and drove to Tallahassee where I've been working ever since.

No comments:

Post a Comment