Friday, September 9, 2011

Week 6 - Julie Martin

Week six was very different from the work I had been doing in the Dominican. I went to Windy Gap in North Caroline with Young Life. Young Life leaders mentor high school students and walk with them in life. This was my first time attending camp at Windy Gap and my first time being a leader a high school camp for a week. There were four of us female leaders from Deland and we brought 13 high school girls with us. We also had three male leaders and a number of boys as well. The main thing is that girls mentor girls and guys mentor guys. I had no idea what was in store for this week. Basically, the goal is to have a blast and brake down the walls between the leaders and students. It is amazing to watch this happen at camp. All of us girls stayed together in one cabin. Before the camp at Windy Gap even started we all went white water rafting, which was actually my first time. That was definitely a bonding time. We all had to work together with the people in our boat. All of the games at camp were centered around those themes of working together in a fun way. We participated in numerous actives including a late night obstacle course to "protect your leader", volleyball tournaments, Nascar racing, water Olympics, horseback ridding, hiked Smokey Mountain, ropes course, clubs (games and songs), free time, big swing, blobbing, zip line, rock climbing, crafts and one on one time with one of their leaders. Everyone had the time of their life. The coolest part for me was to be a part of this awesome time in the high school students lives. It was a time for me to be there for them, listen to them and help guide them in their life. I did not know that many of them or too well, but I did by the end of the week. The barriers were broken down towards the middle of the week, especially by the end. It was incredible to hear all their personal stories. A lot of them very very deep and heavy. I was just so surprised to hear a lot of what they have experienced and how vulnerable they were being to share that information. The students came back changed, a completely different person from going to camp. I felt honored to be a part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment