Friday, September 9, 2011

Week 5 - Julie Martin

My time in the Dominican was coming to a closure as this was my last week. It was hard thinking about it because I did not want to leave, but at the same time I was looking forward to going home to see my family. I could not wait to talk with my friends and family and share the great experience I had. Karen left at the beginning of this week to return to the states to have her arm looked at, which left Traci, Abbey, Mike, Bill, and me. All of us are independent and basically do our own thing. It was a little more challenging for me because I was not as familiar with the Dominican as they were. I usually had Keila along my side but she was on her honeymoon, but all worked out. There was plenty for me to do and I still had some things in mind that I wanted to experience. Keila's Children's Programs was my favorite and I wanted to go back there to see the kids. There was one girl I met the last time I was in the Dominican and I wanted to say hi to her. I brought almost 100 beanie babies and gave them out to the children. It was cool to watch the kids faces light up. They got so excited, running around with their new toy and could not be any happier. This made me feel good. The best part of my week though was towards the end. I went with Bill to evangelize for the first time. We went to a village and basically just sat to talk with the people who lived there. I honestly did not think I was going to enjoy it, but I was wrong. That was one of my favorite moments overall. Those kids were the best. I played several games with them and just ran around. I felt like crying when I left. All the children were hanging on me. I loved it so much I made room in my schedule to go back the following day. One of the girls was just entering into college and I wanted to give her a necklace I had brought. I played more games with the children and waiting for her to get home from school. Once again I did not want to leave. I also got to see the farm. That's where all of Bill's time is spent. It is an incredible place. Overall, I was blessed to have had the opportunity to spend the amount of time I did there and all the things I got to take part in. It definitely made on impact on my life and I learned a lot about myself. It was a time of personal growth. This trip taught me the value of life and helping those in need. It is not always going to be easy and the people are some times going to do things that are disrespectful to you, but do it anyways. The results will shock you in a positive way. This experience gave me hope for one of my dreams of opening an orphanage. The opportunities are all there and I have made the connections. I met with a person who is in the process of building one. He was an inspiration and offered me the opportunity to work with him once the building is up and running within the next two years. Then the ministry I worked with offered to assist me in making my dreams become a reality. They have the place and building started to run an orphanage, they just need someone to take it over. Once I have the experience, that person can be me. It will take time and hard work, but if that is where my passion and purpose truly lies, it will happen. I could not be where I am today without the help on the Bonner Program, which I am truly grateful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment