Thursday, September 1, 2011

Week 5 - Jennifer L.

This week I was allowed to go into a cage with one of my favorite wolves at the reserve! Sierra was the first show wolf for Bush Gardens. She's around fifteen years old. This is even better than the tiger walks because she wasn't on a leash. It was just me and Sierra. There was a senior volunteer in the cage as well just to be safe. I was so excited because she is such a sweet wolf and it's hard to love on the animals as much as you want to through a cage. She was as excited as I was. She actually jumped up on me. There was one paw on each of my shoulders. It wasn't aggressive (she was licking my face) but it was a little scary. She's so big and powerful that she accidentally pushed me against the cage. After the senior volunteer got her down, she laid down on the ground and exposed her belly for me to rub. Work was a little difficult this week because everything is outside and it has been pouring rain. You have to do all the work even if it's lightning because the animals still have to eat. There's not much shelter except for a shed so after work is done, we all kind of hide in there. I hope it stops raining next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment