Monday, July 12, 2010

Salvation Army Convention, 24 Hour Charity Run, Church In The Forest^

Alot of exciting things have happened over here in Germany since the last time I posted. Well and one big disappointing thing (we didn't make it to the Finale WAAAAAAAH!)

About two weeks ago, the Salvation Armies from the South-West of Germany got together in a nearby city for a day of workshops and friendship/contact making. It was really interesting seeing the different people that the Salvation Army attracts and was even more interesting to find out that one of the highest administrators of the Salvation Army is from Canada... 0.o weird, huh? There were three different workshops and, not really paying attention, I ended up in the Spiritual Healing one. I know one was a workshop about children but I forget the name and the topic of the other one. The workshop I sat through was... interesting and was led by a German woman who now lives in New Zealand. She told stories and showed photographs of people who have been healed through her by God. If you're reading this you already know, from my previous posts, that I'm not exaclty religious. I am always skeptical of stuff like that and didn't know how to react to her workshop.

All in all, it was a great day where I made new friends and got to see a bit of the hiarchey of the Salvation Army in Germany.

Last weekend was the 24 Hour Charity Run for childrens' rights. The Salvation Army is somewhat teamed with this organization called PAIS here in Freiburg. My boss from the Salvation Army basically sublets me and the other volunteers at the Salvation Army to this program and we help where is needed. They needed people to count the chips (which were used to count how many laps a person did) and to run a few laps to help support our team. Which I guess I should explain. There were numerous teams, let's say 30, who came to compete for money for their organization. I'm going to assume that every organization had something to do with youth empowerment, based on the name of the event. Each team is given a stack of poker chips with a specifc color and number on them. They are also given a transponder that, when passed over the reciever after every lap, recognizes how many laps a team has run. (way high tech). Needless to say, the team who had run the most laps received the most money. Our job as volunteers for this event was to count the chips every hour, on the hour, and to seperate them and return them to the appropriate teams. I ran a few laps for our team but slept a lot of the time haha, I'm not an all nighter person.
Our Salvation Army had church in the forest yesterday. The weather was beautiful and we had so much fun. The service was mostly a skit that I only partly understood and the rest of the day was a bbq and a huge water fight. It was so nice to be in the forest with nice weather and all of my friends from the SA having a nice BBQ. After the BBQ, the kids started water fighting and, well after I was ambushed by my boss and the rest of the SA and dunked into the baptism tub we brough along, I joined in.

No comments:

Post a Comment