Friday, July 30, 2010

My Life as an American Girl in the D.R.

Back in the U.S. ....

So because I am not so great with international technology, I kept a journal while I was in the Dominican Republic this summer. I will try to hit some highlights for each day. If one word could sum it all up though it might be: life-changing or humbling or awesome.... ok, so I need more words. You all will just have to read the whole thing. =)

Day 1
So far this trip has been AMAZING! I am working with a large group from Colorado and a small group from Indiana. I flew in to the DR by myself and took a cab to the hotel by myself. Let me tell you, I am so glad I am with a group now. I ordered a cheese burger and accidentally left a 70% tip. I haven't quite mastered the peso/U.S. dollar conversion yet. =(

Day 2
I feel as though I've been here much longer than one day. The D.R. is very beautiful. The guest house is nice too. Even though I feel like I am in a different country, I feel comfortable here. There is musica playing all night long outside, but I prefer it over the rooster. He brings in the morning at about 4 AM. =( Today was my first day at the clinic. I watched 3 surgeries and helped Dr. Valdez with consultations all morning. The first surgery was rough, but I recovered and the rest of the surgeries were fine. One of the patients was a young woman who was having a hysterectomy (they remove the ovaries). They don't put you under full anesthesia (the patient is awake, but can't feel anything) and she looked very scared at the beginning. I took her hand and just smiled at her reassuringly. I went to observe part of the procedure a few minutes into the surgery, but as I walked away I could feel her hand tighten. I took a quick look, but I stayed with her for the rest of the surgery. It was quite an empowering experience -knowing the language didn't matter. I feel as if, in a small way, I joined a small part of the Dominican community today. All I had to do was care.

Day 4

Everyday at the clinic is full of surprises! We had a busy day today. Most of our consultations were actually screening sessions for the U.S. surgical group coming next week. We saw some really interesting cases. It's so sad to see what these people have lived with: women with burns from men throwing acid on them, children with various deformities, men with missing limbs who must provide income for their families. Still, these people have such joy and gratitude. Instead of looking at me - someone so blessed, healthy, with shoes and clothing, etc- and thinking of me as a snobby American, they try to talk to me and kiss my cheeks. They thank me for my help as we tell them nothing can be done for them at this time. They thank God for the blessings in their life as they carry their pre-teen aged children out of the clinic because they can't walk and they can't afford a wheel chair. More than anything today, I feel humbled.



No comments:

Post a Comment