Wednesday, July 21, 2010

HoundHaven Week 5

"What ever you do may seem insignificant to you, but it is most important that you do it" ~ Mohandas Gandhi



This quote has touched me so much and made me think about all the community service I do. Sometimes the smallest thing that we do may seem insignificant at the time but in the long run it is very important that we did it. I think about this everyday. I do not always know if helping to clean kennels and walking dogs is helping the animal shelter in the long run but I can sometimes see it. The dogs that get attention have gotten healthier and they are responding well to learning their commands. I hope that by the time our dogs get adopted they will be good at training and it will be a good start for them for when they go to their forever home. Recently I have been working with some of our more difficult dogs to learn their commands. Our puppies are learning how to sit on command now. The other dogs are learning to not jump up on us. One of our dogs, Deke, liked to put his mouth on our arms or hands while we were trying to put his leash on but after extensive discipline and control Deke has stopped nipping as much. I feel like I was supposed to go to this organization. I believe God sent me to this place to learn a few lessons of my own. I have never felt more loved by dogs and more appreciated by individuals. I have been told many times from the other volunteers that I will be sorely missed when school starts back up and I won't be working anymore. I really don't want to leave this group but hopefully I will be able to come back some weekends and work the Petsmart day and meet some of the new dogs that come in.

No comments:

Post a Comment