Sunday, July 4, 2010

HoundHaven Week 3

~~Another week at hound haven and it has been so much fun. We have brought in 5 new dogs this week and one was a 5 month old puppy. The others were older lab mix's. I have gotten into some trouble with one of our new dogs. He is a hound/lab mix and a strond dog. He jumps up on all of us but not out of aggression but just to say hello. He is a massive dog so when he jumps it hurts. I now have bruises and scratches all over my body but I have yet to give up on him. Instead of giving up I just keep walking him and trying to deal with him. I have learned that to keep a jumping dog from hurting you is to turn your back on them. The back takes the brunt of the force and they can't hurt the important parts of your body like your face, chest, and most of your arms. There are times that I still get banged up a little but turning your back on them shows them that you will not pay attention to them when they are jumping and the dog will slowly learn not to jump up on the volunteers. I've also had to deal with some difficult people volunteering. Some of the volunteers have been there much longer than me but they still don't know how to do some of the chores as well as I have been taught. Thankfully I work every morning so I know those dogs better than anyone there. I know about what happened to them the day before and how their behavior has been that whole week. I am so thankful to be able to be with these dogs everyday and I hope that before I leave most of them are adopted or into foster homes and are all well taken care of.

No comments:

Post a Comment