Thursday, July 8, 2010

Long Time No Post!

So my apartment doesn't have internet and I can't use the internet at work for personal use and getting up at 6 and home by 6 is a pretty long day, longer than I'm used to. SO. For an update: my internship at the Supervisor of Elections Office has been UH-MAZE-ING. I seriously had no idea that I would be learning so much so quickly. May 24 through May 27 the Outreach Team held events all over Polk County. I learned my way around backroads that I never knew existed!
The most exciting event of the week wad the Auburndale 2nd Annual Ladies Expo and Luncheon. We offered registration services to quite a few ladies at the Expo as well as sample the best cupcakes in town (courtesy of It's a Piece of Cake by Maggie, aslo home of the best cakes in town). Sometimes I feel like my internship is more about food than it is about voter services.
At this point, I am looking forward to learning more about the process of arranging Early Voting and the ins and outs of getting ready for a major election.
I can safely say that I know how to work a high-tech copy machine as well as how to transfer a call to a different line, but I am anxious to learn more about the elections office.
This weeks most unique experience was visiting the Rohr Home, an assisted living facility. It was a very small building, so Victoria and I went room to room with our clipboards and American Flags to offer Absentee Ballot requests to the residents. I met a few folks that were nearly 100 years old. What a life!
Well, that's all for now folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment