Sunday, July 10, 2011

Why DTA

Why DTA. When I entered the Bonner program the thought of serving an S.O.S was always in the back of my mind, but one major question lay ahead. Where would I serve? Having family in the New York City region I decided to start my search there, I found many opportunities, ranging from parks and recreation, the mayors office, and the YMCA. I applied to all of them, just in case none of those worked out; I had started the process of becoming an intern with congressman Mica’s office in Deltona Florida. It was now May, letters began to arrive, I was offered a counselor position with a YMCA sleep away camp and a day camp. However, after being offered an RA position I would be unable to fully commit to either, due to the fact they ended in late August right around RA training. So I decided I would hope for the mayor’s office or the parks and recreation position. Two weeks later I received a letter stating they where looking for students closer to graduation. At this pointed I started to worry, it was past the deadline to fully commit to Mica’s office and in-order to accept a position with the YMCA I would have had to turn down the RA position. Little did I know faith was about to take control.

When I was ten my parents had enrolled me in a spring break day camp located at Wes Crile Park in Deltona Florida (DTA). It was the brain child of Dennis Mulder, 20 years old at the time attending Stetson University on a tennis scholarship. His passion for tennis led him to form a non-profit know as the Deltona Tennis Association, its mission to provide low cost tennis instruction/ child care to Deltona residents. Since, then Dennis has become a family friend, in 2005 he was the youngest mayor ever elected in the City of Deltona. Fast-forward to the fall of 2010, he helps me run my campaign for seat 3 with the DeBary City Council. A year passes and yet another election season arrives, mid May I received a phone call from Dennis offering me his help if I decided to run for city council again. It was during that phone call I presented my S.O.S situation, resulting in the offer of a position with summer camp diversion of DTA.

I gladly accepted. Next week will be my final Blog in which I detail all the many great lessons learned along with some interesting stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment