Sunday, July 17, 2011

Final Count Down

Final Count Down. This week marks the complication of my 280th hour with DTA and a S.O.S I will never forgot. It’s hard to believe how fast time flies by, I remember the first day of camp as if it was yesterday. I was ready to make a difference in lives of the over 100 kids who attend the summer camp, however, hesitant on how this difference would be accomplished. With the program nearing its close, I look back and realize the success of providing our campers with a fun and enjoyable experience can not be credited to a signal person or moment. Instead, it is credited to the numerous hours of planning and re-planning done by the team of counselors myself include. This planning allowed us to accomplish a two fold goal; first we able to keep all campers engaged in group activities, at the same time forming individual bonds with most all the kids. This process had its ups and downs, heart felt moments, and times of joy.

Throughout this entire S.O.S I could not help being reminded of the book There Are No Child from Dr.Sapps class. Many of our campers came from low income families and experience rough home lives; having read the book I was able to better understand the feelings hopeless and lack of engagement some of the campers exhibited. Thus, having this deeper understanding I was better equipped in forming bonding relationships. All and all this will be an experience I will never forget, look forward to the presentation in September.

No comments:

Post a Comment