Sunday, July 3, 2011

Better Late Than Never

5/25/11-6/2/11: The first week of camp consisted of staff training. It was long and we spent a lot of time in workshops that were quite un-entertaining but they were all important. Getting to meet all the new staff members and reconnect with old ones was wonderful! This summer I'm even a certified lifeguard! (The past 2 summers I've been busy on the weekends they did it.) Here's to a fabulous summer!
6/6/11-6/10/11: Our first week of kids came from the Boys & Girls Clubs of Volusia County. They weren't the most well-behaved children we've ever had but they were a small group and a very good way to get everyone into the swing of camp. I found myself pleasantly surprised at how excited I was to be back out at the range! Shep bought new arrows too! They're electric blue aluminum and I can't wait to start using them. On Monday a bad thunderstorm came through and actually caught some of the woods on camp ON FIRE. It was kind of scary but everyone still had a great week. I call that a success!
6/13/11-6/17/11: This session (our second week of kids) was a real test for all the newbies. It was a full camp of 76 kids all from St. Lucie County, which was a 3 hour drive away. For the most part they were good kids and their deputies were fantastic. Seeing everyone laughing and smiling and generally having a good time always makes me feel like I'm doing my job to the best of my abilities...even when the kids try and make me eat chewed up gummi bears.
6/19/11-6/24/11: Session 2 (week 3) included Duval, Baker, Clay, Union, and Bradford counties. Some of my favorite kids from past summers were there which put a smile on my face. I had to be a group leader instead of an activity leader this week which was weird for me. I feel so out of my element not teaching archery but I enjoyed my kids and my co-counselor and the week. It was fun even if I did miss being at the range! The weekend before this Session started I found a scorpion in my bathroom. It was TERRIFYING! It took 5 people about an hour to get out.
6/27/11-7/1/11: Indian River County was here! That's the county I'm from so it's always fun getting to see the kids who come back every year and the deputies I've known since I started coming to camp 9 summers ago. It makes you realize how fast time flies! This week also made me kind of sad. This is most likely my last summer of camp and hearing kids ask me if I'll be back next summer makes my heart hurt a little bit. It's good to know that I've made a difference in the lives of youth across the state.

1 comment:

  1. That was smart! I have been doing my separately! Oh well!

    ReplyDelete