Monday, July 11, 2011

July 4-8

The community Coalition is separated into committees. Everyone loves committees. Diane and I called every single person individually to tell them when their committee was meeting and what they would be discussing. Everyone seemed so excited to come. However, when the 5th rolled around and our first committee was scheduled to meet- no one showed up. Our 2nd committee came no one showed up. So we hoped we would have better luck on the 7th when our 2 other committees were scheduled. For the first one- one person showed up. That's a little better- right? For our last committee meeting 3 people showed up and we actually got to go through the meeting!

Of course, being the person that I am, I left the last meeting angry. I was upset with the decisions that they made. This committee was about the youth. We were discussing what workshops we could give to them at a community event we are planning. They said things like drugs, sexting, self-esteem, all the usual things. But all I could think the entire time is that the only time a person is going to change is if they start to value themselves. And we can't make someone value themselves by telling them what they shouldn't or should be doing. Especially when we haven't formed relationships. So, I decided to meet with Vonzelle. I was going to change this! I am going to make them realize what a big mistake they are making.

And that's when I learned that I need to humble myself. For now, DeLand is my community. But how much of it do I really know? I know the homeless community pretty well. But what about all of the other people in this community? We are starting from scratch here. This community has never had anyone care enough to want to change it. But I am leaving in 2 years and it is my job to empower others to care enough to change it. And these people know this community. They know what they need. And I can't come in and tell them what they need. I am supposed to know this. I would never go into an non-profit organization and tell them what they need. I ask them. And I didn't do that for the community of DeLand. I thought I knew it all. I have to let these people own this 100%, so that when Diane, Vonzelle, and myself are all gone- they have the tools and the desire to keep uniting and changing this city for the better.

YAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment