Monday, July 18, 2011

First blog

So despite me being almost done with my SOS, this is my first blog. I have been so busy trying to balance the YMCA and Publix that I have completely neglected to work on blogging, so here they go. I have been working at the DeLand YMCA as the Sports Program & Marketing Intern, kind of a variety of different areas. My main focus has been working with the sports program of the Y. I began my internship finishing up the soccer season, taking surveys of parents feelings about the program. I found it very interesting the things that everyone had to say; such as adding a concession stand outside under the pavilion and how much money it would make for the YMCA. From then on I wanted to be involved in this change that the YMCA was implementing; making the parents and customers voices heard and changing things how they want. Often companies will take surveys but will never do anything with the results- I can honestly say that I know these questionnaires that I filled out went straight to our regional representative who was then going to decide whether or not our facility could handle it on our own or if it should go to corporate.

The rest of my summer has consisted of making phone calls to past program participates, assisting with the marketing designs for the summer camps, and working with the kids throughout the sports camps. I have worked thus far with soccer and basketball camp. After both of those, I realized I am not ready to grow up and have kids because I do not have enough patience for them over a long period of time. I enjoy working with them though, just seeing a child smile because they have mastered a skill makes my job ten times more rewarding. Currently I coaching a volleyball team and working hand in hand with my sports supervisor to ensure that the summer basketball league runs smoothly and effectively. I engage in conversations with the parents as well as referee games and communicate with coaches.

After all of this though, I have begun to question how much I really want to work in the sports management field. While I enjoy watching and participating in sports programs, I am not sure if I have the dedication to work in this field on a regular basis. I think that if I decide to work in this field, it needs to be in the more professional or in a more organized business where I have a set task. I am not comfortable when I am being pulled in many different directions and I feel that with this SOS that it was has been happening. With only 4 more weeks and 120 hours to go, I am interested to see how this summer winds down and what the final picture will be!

1 comment:

  1. Nice article dude, thanks for sharing this effective article. @Shaik

    Sample Questionnaire

    ReplyDelete