Tuesday, June 29, 2010

HoundHaven Week 2

I am so happy this week. I am working so hard and I am finally seeing the rewards of what I do. Even though I only clean up and walk the dogs it is wonderful to see dogs go out to homes so that we have the ability to take in more dogs. I have been able to take care of dogs and then they get to go to home and I am able to start another relationship with other dogs and see how they are when they first come to shelter. These new dogs show me how they feel in this new place but thankfully we treat them so well and give them so much love that they adapt well in their new environment. These dogs have come to show me that even though they are in a kennel they are still happy because they have wonderful people loving on them. Of course there are many different kinds of people at the shelter that work in many different ways. It is interesting to see that there are people there that have been working at the shelter for many years and are not as excepted as I am and I have only been working there for a few weeks. I have made many friends and I am glad to provide my time for them. I have fallen in love with not only the dogs but the people as well. I have been able to learn about the dogs behaviors and I have given suggestions about the dogs and what needs to be done about the fighting in the yards. Even the owner listened to my suggestions and followed through with seperating the dogs that were fighting. I was glad to get to know the owner of the shelter and it felt good that she remembered me after she met one day. This shelter is teaching me everyday to love and cherish dogs that are in a bad situation and to not be afraid of big dogs or to even let them take you down or scare you. I love this shelter and the dogs and the people with all my heart now and hope to come back after the summer and keep working on weekends when I can.

~Rachael A.

No comments:

Post a Comment