Monday, June 21, 2010

CSL - Week 7

Yes, week 7. We're here already. Oh my goodness how time has flown.

My second to last week was an insanely busy - and extremely exciting - one.

First, I began interviewing people for my pseudo-CBR. I interviewed people (all women, surprisingly) from the Interfaith Kitchen, the Agape Clubhouse, Second Harvest Food Bank, and the Department of Children and Families (responsible for the distribution of food stamps, now known as SNAP benefits). During this upcoming week, I will be interviewing someone from the Neighborhood Center, and hopefully people from WIC (Nutrition for Women, Infants, and Children) and the schools where they offer free/reduced lunch. My findings thus far have been consistent with my "hypothesis" (there wasn't really an official hypothesis, but I had a mental one) that due to the economic downturn, more and more people are in need of food assistance. Many organizations, with the exception of the Interfaith Kitchen, have seen a dramatic increase in the number of requests for assistance. I've discovered that donations have increased exponentially as well, with most of the need being met. The Second Harvest Food Bank, which provides food for soup kitchens and more local food pantries, distributes food almost as fast as it comes in, leaving them in a precarious position. At the DCF, the economic decline has led to the elimination of numerous staff positions, while the amount of applications for SNAP benefits has increased dramatically. Fortunately, most applications are completed online, but people are still needed to run the numbers in order to determine benefits - also a precarious position. So ... they're managing. And as far as I can see they're meeting need. But then again, I haven't yet talked to anyone who is actually receiving the benefits. We'll see.

Lots of things were going on within the CSL as well. We're wrapping up our community partner interviews and completing our database. We've scheduled almost all of the rest of the partners who hadn't responded to our initial requests for appointments, which is fantastic. We're now working on pulling together the Community Partner Orientation, and condensing all of the material we've gathered into a pretty little powerpoint. Amanda and I also worked a great deal on revamping the experience for First-Year Bonners, something I am INCREDIBLY excited about. It's going to be a much more structured and, I think, efficient exploration period. Besides that, Scarlett and I are brainstorming a new group for the young women who participate with most of our community partners that will bond with them through "girlie" activities, helping to boost their self-esteem and self-image. It'll be fantastic :)

I think that's about it as far as the CSL goes.

Now for the last week........

No comments:

Post a Comment