Monday, June 14, 2010

SoS Week 2...Sick but NOT Sick of Service

Soooo, this week was definitely a challenge for me. I woke up the 2nd day of service with the stomach flu and was honestly considering calling out for the day. While holding my phone with my finger on the "send" button ready to call my instructor, I quickly remembered that my student is struggling more and more everyday with her film class, and if she can push through this, then so can I. Once in the class, I began taking notes for her and explained to her and the professor about how I was feeling and thankfully, they were both very understanding. I really believe that God was watching out for me that day. The professor announced that the class would be watching a 2.5 hour movie. Because I can't take notes for my student during the movie, I quietly stepped out of the classroom and sat in a chair outside of the class for the duration of the film. I was able to hear the film and rejoin the class to take notes for her regarding the discussion of the film.

Apart from being sick, the rest of the week was great. I spent much more of my time this week being an assistant to the testing coordinator and one of our counselors. We had an emergency situation occur where a professor didn't send in a college math exam for three students!!! Needless to say, the students were in a complete panic when they came into our office and realized that their exams were MIA. We were able to calm down the students, track down the professor, make our way over to the department, pick up the exams, and allow the students to take the exams in our office. We have special testing accomodations at the FAU Office for Students with Disabilities. Depending on the student's specific disability, students may be offered accomodations such as extra time on exams, an isolated exam room, distraction-reduced settings, typing on a large screen computer (mainly for students with sight problems), orally recording their voice (mainly for students with physical disabilities in with their hands), or having a sign language interpretor write down the student's answers if the student is deaf. I have helped students in ever single one of these situations...except sign language. I wish I could sign!!! Anyways, I have also written for a music student who had a physical disability, since I know how to read music. He is such a talented guy!!! I love being able to help my students succeed in their courses! Working at this office is a blessing, and I'm already looking forward to Week 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment