Sunday, June 20, 2010

HoundHaven Week 1

~~This past week I have been volunteering with HoundHaven where they rescue dogs and adopt them back out to loving families. I was excited to start there and experience being around the amazing people that work there and the dogs that live there. I worked the morning shift and I learned how to clean the kennels and take care of the dogs. I was also able to learn how to take care of the sick dogs that need special medication. Working with the other volunteers was amazing. I talked with them and learned about there experiences with the program and many other places they volunteered. I like working with this place and I learn something new everyday plus there are new dogs coming in every week mostly. I love being around these dogs because they are so different from most other dogs in shelters. Most of the dogs are Labs and some are mix breeds. On Saturday I was able to go to an adoption day. Adoption Days are so much fun. They bring dogs to hopfully get adopted out to Petsmart. I was able to take care of one dog that day for over three hours. It was the first time that I was able to go to be close to the dogs and I was happy to get close to one of the dogs and begin a good relationship with her because getting a dog's trust is hard if they are always in a kennel without constant attention. I cannot wait for the rest of the summer to come so that I can spend more time with the dogs and the amazing volunteers that are giving up their time to help these adorable animals.

1 comment:

  1. Hello, my lovely animal activist!!! You're doing such a great job with your service! I can't wait to read more of your updates with the Labs and other mixed breeds!!! Hope you're having a great SoS so far, and I miss volunteering with you sooo much! Bonner Love,
    Angelina

    ReplyDelete