Tuesday, February 16, 2010

On The Topic of Race

Ya know it is a funny thing. I've never dealt with a ton of discrimination either against me or against people of race that I know. I guess I've been brought up in a pretty accepting personal culture. At least that's how I remember it. Maybe I'm just good at blocking out atrocities or something...possible but not plausible. We live in a pretty accepting culture now on the whole though there are still imbeciles who decide that racism and bigotry are their weapons of choice. Anyway, to hop down of that soapbox, I have had one experience with..color selection? I don't really know how to put it. While applying to colleges I was accepted to one and I told a friend who wanted to go where I was and he applied. This friend is of Indian decent and was immediately accepted on what he called the "brown" scholarship. It didn't really miff me that he got accepted so quickly, it's actually a great thing, but it was a little weird that I had based my entire high school career of potential college acceptance (not that he hadn't) and he was easily accepted. I do think this is a good thing though. I feel as though even if colleges are more accepting just for number reasons it still gives people a chance at college. Anyway. Before I get off here I wanted to post the poster for the Haiti relief show on Saturday. Try and come out! It will be great! (click to enlarge it)

No comments:

Post a Comment