Sunday, February 7, 2010

First Blog!

My main community partner this year is Florence Thuot, owner of Journey's End Animal Sanctuary. She is 83 years old, and I have learned so much from spending time with her.

I have always been one to "judge a book by its cover" (something i am still working on), and often times, it is very hard for me to break out of that. I know I limit myself in that way. Working with Florence, I have gotten to know her very well and she has become like family to me. She is a person from whom i have much to learn in the ways to taking care of people, or animals in need. Before she began rescuing animals, she would frequently bring people home off of that streets and fed and clothed them until they got back on their feet. There have been many times when i have called to check on her over the weekend to see how things are going and ended up talking for an hour, just about life in general. I know that she is someone who i can go to about anything. Being around her has taught me that i should never assume that i would not befriend someone simply because they do not fit the typical "friend profile" (whatever that may be). If it had not been for Bonner, I would never have gotten to know Florence and made such an amazing friend. I know that the relationship that I have developed with her will be one that lasts far past college and Bonner.

No comments:

Post a Comment