Monday, February 8, 2010

American Beauty

Just last week I watched the movie American Beauty. I have seen it a few times before, but not for a while. I really enjoy this movie because it shows that no matter what people see on the outside there is something much deeper going on, on the inside of a person. Society teaches us to see how people are by what the wear, the way they act, and what they look like. It seems a little cliché saying that everyone has their own inner beauty, but it is true in many ways. Almost every character in the movie had something to hide. As the movie progressed all of these hidden things were revealed on the same night and it ended in something catastrophic. Because of what society had taught them, they were afraid to reveal what they really felt and who they really were. What society may view as flaws in a person, I view as strengths. I feel that everyone has certain strengths that increase who they are as a person. We use these strengths everyday, and most likely at our service sites. Everyone is given these strengths for a reason and should be putting them to good use. In relation to social justice, I feel that if everyone in society uses their strengths together it will create a more harmonious society. If people were not afraid to reveal their true selves society today might be kinder to people who are considered “different”. Last year I read Meditations by Marcus Aurelius and found this quote:

"Look beneath the surface: never let a thing's intrinsic quality escape you."

This sticks with me for most of the day, and reminds me to be less quick to judge.

No comments:

Post a Comment