Wednesday, February 10, 2010

On Diversity Day

As part of a Lead Team gathering and in support of Tung, I attended this morning's discussion featuring a panel of three foreign-born students. From my understanding, the goal of today's exercise was to allow the three panelists to discuss their experiences coming to America, language barriers and transition, and assimilation into a new culture. I was very happy with the three students on the panel. Unfortunately, I had not met the two gals on the panel (though, of course, I know Tung...he's the man!). And, unfortunately, I was a little disappointed that the German professor 'facilitating' the discussion took charge as much as she did and that she allowed so many in the crowd to speak. I understand that it is meant to be a discussion, but no one in the audience came to hear what I had to say...they came to hear Tung and the other panelists discuss their experiences. I want to thank Tung for his willingness to appear and for doing such a fine job, and at the same time I want to apologize to him for hijacking his panel.

No comments:

Post a Comment