Friday, June 22, 2012

SOS Week 3

So some things that have been in the works the last 2 weeks:
1. A summer Civic Engagement Camp to take place Summer '13 at Stetson! Just had a meeting about this last week to get set up.
2. NEW BONNER ORIENTATION!!! Woo! I've been organizing, planning and emailing guest speakers to make this orientation the most effective yet. A few sneak peaks: a presentation by health services, a panel of community partners (please send me an email if you have a community partner that would like to participate in this panel), and hopefully a presentation by Coach Hughes, our new football coach.  Michael and I are working very closely on this to get it all set up.
3. Lead Team Orientation! I've been putting together the schedule and trying to make it the most beneficial training on how to be a mentor, the main goal of lead team.  We also want to be helpful to the rest of the organization so we need to figure out where that puzzle piece lies.
4. Finally, I've been solidifying some plans for the Ambassadors for the fall! Can't wait to share all of these new projects with you.

Another portion of my SOS is working with the Community Partnership for Children and mentoring young girls. I have not been formally set up with a mentee through this organization but I have another girl from my service site throughout the year that I've been working with this summer. Last week we went to the library, had dinner together and then went to a DeLand Suns baseball game. She really enjoyed it. We have a deal that if she reads 700 minutes this summer (5 days/week, 20 minutes/day) that we'll go play laser tag one day. It's so important to keep consistency in her life, so the next step is to make one day a week where the two of us go volunteer together. No idea what place will let me bring an 11-year-old but I'm going to start looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment