Monday, June 25, 2012

Kou Week 2

I began volunteering at Florida Rural Legal Services on Monday, June 18. This organization provides legal services to low-income families. On my first day, I made a few calls to Mexico to speak with some farm workers who were mistreated while working in the United States. Last Wednesday I was able to go to Immokalee with two of the paralegals and see first-hand the problems that some of the low-income families face. It was a tiring but emotional day. Most of the families that came in were migrant workers. There are not any legal services in Immokalee so Wednesdays are the only days that the families can come in for legal advice. Some families just came in to get something translated. Most of the people were either Haitian or Hispanic. It was an interesting week and I learned that most farm workers are underrepresented and treated unfairly.

No comments:

Post a Comment