Saturday, June 23, 2012

Darina's Week 2


This week was more challenging than last. I had to memorize two introductory volunteer orientations. One is for volunteers coming to work in the kitchen and the other is for those going on food deliveries. Having to practice the orientation, I learned a lot more about the history and operations of the organization. There is no way this organization can not operate without the help of the volunteers. I got to do my first orientation on Wednesday. I think it went pretty wellJ. My public speaking skills are certainly improving.
I am also in charge of making maps for next day’s delivery drivers and making sure all of the foods are distributed correctly. Although this sounds simple, it takes a couple of hours.
On Tuesday we had a quick staff meeting and Whole Foods presented the organization with a check of over $22,000!
On Wednesday we had the annual in-house BBQ lunch for staff and clients. I got to see more of the individuals we serve. To qualify for the services there are no restrictions for income, however, most clients (around 80%) are below the poverty line and earn about $500 a month. I am glad I got to witness how cheerful and grateful they are. 
Throughout this week I got to meet more of the staff who are all very friendly and interesting. Two of them are in the Peace Corps.
I also figured out that my official title is Volunteer Services Intern (which sounds a lot fancier than it really is). My director also said that he will eventually have me working on a volunteer outreach project which I am really excited about.  

No comments:

Post a Comment