Monday, June 25, 2012

Jarian- Week 2

When I think about service, and the service I am providing at the Cancer Center in North Broward Medical Center, I think about what I would define as two different types of service: Direct and Indirect. This week I was asked to clean up the file room by taking all of the old patient charts (2010 and older) to the medical records department. Then, I refiled all of the charts that were in the overflow cabinet. This task, which makes it easier for the staff to find charts and allows for the charts to fit nicely into the filing system, is what I would consider indirect service. I believe that direct service is working directly with the people who need the service. An example of this is working with children at the YMCA, the Little House Next Door, or at the Chisholm Center. Another example of direct service is Habitat for Humanity. Indirect service is service that helps the people who need service by making it easier for them to acquire the services, or by assisting the people who make the service possible for the people in need. An example of indirect service is the border collie rescue that trains the service dogs to make it possible for the people in need to have the service dogs in a timely manner. My job at the cancer center is definitely indirect service because I am helping the patients by making it easier for the staff (and the physicians) to do their jobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment