Sunday, July 14, 2013

Week VI Project Reflections

Hello dear Bonner, hope you're all having a good summer. So my project reflections are great :) I have been working on more than one project (organization), so I have lots of different reflections. Let me start with SOS Children's Villages. The Play Bus (the SOS CV project which I volunteer with) just came back from our summer tour. For a week we went to Ganja, a city West of the capital. SOS CV has a 'village' there too, so we stayed there and had programs with different schools, kindergartens and orphanages. It was a great trip because I had time to develop even closer relationship with the employees of the Play Bus as well as the kids of Gandja. The kids called me 'American' because I told them that I study there and because of my 'not-so-good Azeri' hehe. I really enjoyed working with these kids, and I tried to bring hope and ambition to their life by encouraging them to study harder and go to colleges! I also gifted two of my plastic Stetson sunglasses to the two boys from the Gandja SOS CV. On our way back our car broke, so we had to drive around 60 km/hr, this made our trip twice as long - almost 8 hours! The second organization I volunteer at is EducationUSA (at BEIC). Just 2 weeks ago we chose a number of kids for the competitive college club; these are the high school students who will be tutored for SAT, TOEFL, essay writing and other skills one needs to apply to US colleges. I was also asked to prepare a power point presentation about the Life in the USA (American culture, holidays, and traditions); this would be presented to the students who are about to leave for American universities in this fall. I am so happy to know than more and more students are applying to the foreign universities and expanding their knowledge!  I have also developed a close relationship with some of the students who come to the conversation club, and once we went out to see a movie in Eng.

No comments:

Post a Comment