Sunday, July 21, 2013

Week 1- Service Goals

Week 1 

    
 This summer I have been serving in the DeLand community, working  with The Boys & Girls Club and doing other odd jobs with the Center for Community Engagement. My goal during this time period is to learn the dynamics of my service site, and envision how a relationship between the service site and a Bonner Summer Fellows camper would work. 

     The first week was spent exploring different options for service sites with Audri and Logan. Initially I was assigned to the Chisholm Center where I volunteer during the year, but due to time restrictions with the volunteer registration process, I decided to join Logan at the BGC. 

     Our first day on the job, the instructions are pretty simple. No running inside. If you catch a runner, send them back and make them walk. Turning to me, Mrs. Althea (Head Honcho) adds that the girls will ask to play with my hair, and if it makes me uncomfortable...to decline politely. Cringing a little bit (I hate people playing with my hair), I nod and Mrs. Althea introduces us to the rest of the staff. There are three groups of kids, each run by a staff member (Ms. Kiki, Mr. David, Ms. Maritza). Mrs. Althea leaves us to mingle with the kids and Logan and I are quickly roped into intense games of Jenga, Uno, Mancala, and Apples to Apples. One thing I've always liked about kids is their lack of inhibition and their ability to befriend others instantly.

     The rest of the week was spent getting to know all the kids and the daily schedules of the BGC. I enjoyed being around the kids because it reminded me of my lovely Chisholm kids.

Bella Ramirez

No comments:

Post a Comment