Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Week 2


Over the past week specific challenges have been revealing themselves.  The first is living with four women.  Our team of five lives in a single home and it is rather awkward for me because I have never lived with sisters before.   It will definitely be an adventure to adapt to this new living situation.  Fortunately the maintenance project leader, Ivan, is a good comic relief for me during the work day.   Another specific challenge for me is the work with the orphan toddlers.  The toddlers are between 2-4 years old and I am not the most aptly equipped team member for this age group.  Both Sarah-Michelle and Jessica (or Jess-ee-kuh by the kids) are majoring in elementary education and their knowledge of children and kiddy songs may save us from weeks of soccer and running. The children and aunties are great, but there is a significant language barrier.  The Aunties have begun giving us SiSwati names, and have dubbed me Sibusisu, the male blessing and Sarah-Michelle, Busisiwe, the female blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment