Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Week 3


Our group is beginning to build some relationships with the students here.  It truly is astounding how many of the kids, aunties, and administration have started to take an interest in our lives and build bonds with us.  Apart from the giving of Swazi names, some of the Aunties have begun calling us Sissi (Sister), or bhuti (brother).  One of my Aunties even asked to hear about my personal childhood and the challenges I grew up with.  I have begun to bond more with the workers and some of the older boys.  Our maintenance project leader, Ivan, reminds me a lot of my older brother.  They both have the same sense of humor, except Ivan likes to say that we are crazy Americans and tease us for our painting. 

We have begun working with the clubs and even been given the chance to share dinner with a host family.  My house is a group of older boys, two of which are about to graduate.  They enjoy having us as a visitor, and when I stayed for dinner, were very polite.  It is taking time to get to know my boys, since most of them are new to Bulembu.  Being new comers at their age they have a lot of troubles they remember and it is obvious they are nervous about opening up.  They are happy to have help doing homework assignments, or with constructing homemade projects.  One of them has built himself an electric fan for the summer, with a car license plate, computer parts and an adapter.  I got to help him wire it and we managed to get it working.  The younger boys in the house just enjoy having a person to help with their work and love to show off the good grades they achieve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment