Monday, August 8, 2011

Even though summer is over...

It’s actually been perfect timing with everything this summer. I got to finish the year off with my girls, SLI and then spend my last weeks brainstorming and planning at the CSL.

Oh I just remembered something about Woodward…During the awards ceremony, I felt like a proud parent when all of my students from tutoring received awards. (I even took pictures. Haha)

I was really excited to start at the CSL to implement the new ideas from SLI. Some of the workshops we went to, we think, will be helpful as our program grows. With so many new ideas, I didn’t really know where to start. Alex has been awesome because he’s been working hard with Orientation and Retreat preparation even though he doesn’t have to. He meets with Amanda and me and we check in with each other. The Bonner Orientation handbook looks amazing…not surprising, I suppose!

Figuring out meeting times for Lead Team with everyone’s busy schedules have been quite difficult. Through this experience, I’ve learned that it’s about give and take. In the end, communication is key and little things should not get in between relationships with others.

I stayed a second round for Summer of Service at the CSL for two main reasons. First was so that I can finish off the year with my girls at Woodward for the first half and second, to work on Bonner projects (specifically, this year). However, while I love working on stuff for Bonner, I’ve been reassured that I am not an office work type of person. I enjoyed brainstorming and working with everyone, especially Amanda, Alex, Courtney and Julie this summer. Getting to know the incoming Bonners via Facebook and having dinner with Seth and Kou awesome and I can never complain about lunch events talk about Bonner ideas throughout the summer. But being in a office for long periods of time, while it has to be done, is not very appealing for me. I guess I’m not as skilled as Scarlett when it comes to managerial skills J .

It worked out in my favor. By extending my hours through the entire summer, we got more done because we always have new things we want to try and implement. I’m really excited for the upcoming year. I think we have an awesome Lead Team and a great new group of Bonners joining who are all very excited to start the year.

I hope Bonners don’t get too annoyed with me when I bugged them to complete their hour logs on Bonner Webbers!! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment