Monday, July 21, 2014

VFCCH

I am currently working with the Volusia/Flagler County Coalition for the Homeless.  

For the last week I have been doing outreach, recruiting churches and helping to organize the IDignity Volusia event that will be taking place in Daytona Beach on August 7.  For those who do not know what IDignity is, it is an event that helps homeless and disadvantaged individuals get their social security number, birth certificate, state ID, and driver license, all things that would be needed for applying for jobs, or getting bank accounts. After having some complications we have a group of churches who have agreed to help with outreach, and a church to host the event.  Unfortunately we have not gotten as many volunteers as we predict will be needed, but both Mike, the outreach coordinator, and I will continue to work on recruiting volunteers. Our goal is to have most volunteers from the Daytona Beach area, so the community feels more connected and are more aware of the impact they can make in their own city.
 
 I have really enjoyed working with the staff at VFCCH and focusing on the outreach.  As most of us know, I am usually a very quiet individual, but this work has put me out of my comfort zone.  I am almost constantly working with individuals in a professional environment.  Mike has been working with me one on one, helping me build my confidence and helping me learn the administrative roles of planning a large event.  I am looking forward to continue working with VFCCH throughout my Summer and the school year.

B-LOVE

Larry Swartz

No comments:

Post a Comment