Sunday, August 8, 2010

Sharptop Cove, Week 4: My Future?

Hey guys, so I didn't get a chance to talk about my fourth week at SharpTop yet because I had to go to Windy Gap, which is yet another Young Life camp. Week four was so sad. Everything we did was the last. The last tableaux, the last carnival, the last sopapillas, the last day on the Tower with my team. These past four weeks have really made me think about my future. Right now I am a Studio Art Major, which doesn't really give me much right out of undergrad. I talked to two girls while I was on summer staff who are going to Savannah College of Art and Design. They say that the graduate program is really good there and I could start off by taking random art classes just to test each program. This would really help me because I honestly don't see me doing fine art for the rest of my life. It takes a lot of ambition and you really have to want it to make it anywhere in the art world. So, if I went to graduate school for something like interior design, architecture, or maybe fibers, I would have a little bit more direction for a career. These past four weeks have also made me think about my service site and if I would be interested in pursuing that as a career. In Young Life there are two options, either Field Staff or Property Staff. Field Staff is where you work around the country or maybe even a different country and you work directly with the kids. You get them to come to club each week and build relationships with them. It is kind of what I am doing now, it would just me higher up, so I might be in charge of a whole area of kids. Property Staff is working at one of the many camps around the world. Personally, I could see myself working on property because it would just fit me better. I'm just okay at relating with high schoolers. I feel that working behind the scenes on property staff would be best for me. That is why I'm thinking of interning next summer or the summer after at a Young Life camp. Who knows, I might even intern for an entire year. Anyways, as you can see I've had a lot to think about. This upcoming year I might do Student Staff, just to get more involved with the Field Staff part of Young Life to see what it is about. It's really scary to think that I have only one year left of school. I'm really excited =)

No comments:

Post a Comment