Monday, August 2, 2010

The D.R. Entry 3

Day 8

It's the weekend so I get to spend some time in the community (outside of the clinic) today. We went to the "barrios", which is a small, poor village right down the road from the guest house. I was so looking forward to just hanging out with the kids. Putting aside medicine. Just playing with the kids like I would at the Boys and Girls Club or the YMCA. But life hands us crazy surprises! ...

It started out great! A few of us walked toward the village and small children ran to meet us yelling, "Americanos, Americanos aqui!!" It was so cute! We walked hand-in-hand with them down to a little creek nearby. Some of the kids played in the creek, while others skipped rocks. I immediately realized this combo was a very bad idea, but I didn't know how to say "throw the rocks further down the stream" in espanol. =( A few minutes later a little girl got hit in the head with a rock that a little boy threw. Her head bled a lot but I knew she would be okay because I had seen head wounds like it before. Long story short, I fixed her up and every time I saw her after I asked her how her "cabeza" (head) was. =)

That day I thanked God for how He always places me where I can be used and links my passions together.

No comments:

Post a Comment