Friday, August 6, 2010

An awesome summer at Girls Inc!

So on my way to campus I was thinking about everything I have done this summer with my girls. On my last day I felt so weird because it didn't feel like I had been working there for 7 weeks. However, when I think back over all of the activities we have done and how well I have gotten to know the girls then it really does start to feel like 7 weeks. I really wish I could be there with them during the school year to see how they are doing and know how things are going in school. They have made this summer so amazing (as well as exhausting) for me. Many of them expressed to me some concerns and problems that they have in school. I tried to give the best advice I could at the time but during the summer I don't think much of it is going to stick. I wish I could be there for them after school every day to help them with homework and to keep encouraging them. I know they will be fine though because of the excellent staff of women working there. This summer was by far one of the most rewarding for me. I could literally see these girls growing and maturing in just the months that I spent with them. I have had a similar experience working with CAUSE at the Boys and Girls Club but it is truly different when you spend all day every day with these girls rather than just twice a week for 2 hours at a time. My time at Girls Inc was something different. It was an awesome summer with some of the most crazy and amazing girls I know. This summer of service rocked! I don't really think I could put it any other way than that :)

No comments:

Post a Comment