Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Summer of Young Life, Week 1: So, I ate a goldfish.

I am half way through my first week of summer of service for my service site at Young Life. So far it has been very hectic. Not only did I move into a new home (the Wesley House), but I also got my transportation this week (my new road bike). Here is what it looks like so far:

I will give you some updates on that soon.

Also, moving into the Wesley House allows my roommate and I to cook. Here is our latest creation: Too large cookies

But, enough about that, and more about my actual service. Monday night we had our last regular club, which was senior night. In other words, the Deland seniors ran the club and we just made sure everything went smoothly. In one of the mixer games (in which everyone is involved) we told them that the first team to be completely covered in newspaper wins:


It’s definitely a classic. I had a great time with my seniors after club at Groundchuck’s also.

Tuesday was even crazier because we cleaned up from the club of the night before. We had some YL girls come over and help out, and in return they received money for camp. Now, YL camp is something that we push for students to go to all year. The only problem is it is really expensive. Luckily, throughout the summer we do all sorts of fundraisers and kids work for their money. This week has been spring cleaning week for our YL house and what better way to do it than to higher some kids. So, yesterday we filled about 8 giant garbage bags with newspaper and other things thrown around the house. We swept and mopped and organized and we still aren’t done. So just working around the house and hanging out the girls received about $80 for camp just in one day. This, of course is great for them and an awesome bonding experience for us.
Oh man, talk about bonding experiences, the girls received an extra $10 to eat a live goldfish from the club skit the night before. After they had done it, and after much persuasion, my awesome area director said, “And because Abbey loves you guys so much, and wants to show here support in any possible way, she too will eat a live goldfish.” !!!??! Thanks Aaron…you’re awesome.

1 comment:

  1. Abbey. Abbey, Abbey, Abbey! Did you really? Is there video of this? You rock. :D

    ReplyDelete