Sunday, May 16, 2010

Let the learning begin!

So this is somewhat backwards, as my first official day of service is tomorrow. Day 1 of 11 full (5 day) weeks of 8 to 5 work in the Outreach department of Polk County's Supervisor of Elections Office. It is definitely going to be a learning experience - hence the title of this post :) I am really looking forward to the person to person work, but to be completely honest, I am really nervous! I'm expected at the office by 7:40 for coffee in the break room with my new team members. I might bring a tea bag, since coffee 1) is addictive 2) requires sugar (at least for me it does and I'm trying to cut back on that) and 3) isn't nearly as yummy and healthy as green tea.

Instead of living at home, my parents have graciously allowed me to "rent" a small apartment from them. This apartment happens to be the same one I grew up in when it was just me, mom, and daddy. :) Kinda cool. Also weird.

I'm desperate for one more grade to be posted on Banner web. Anyone care to comment with the date grades are due? I'm doing great so far, but this one remaining grade is the only one worrying me!

The Civil Rights Travel Experience is going to be so eye opening. I'm finishing up the first book, God's Long Summer, and I am in awe of how much the ideals behind the movement are the same ones that (should) shape the concept of community engagement and the Bonner program itslef.

I miss the Seniors - now Stetson Grads - so much already! If any of you read this, thanks for 2 wonderful years of friendship!

So, tomorrow I plunge feet first into the water. I shouldn't be nervous; I have volunteered there for the past 6 years (whoa, typing that has made me realize just how old I am and how young I was!). I shall update you henceforth weekly, maybe more. I really enjoy blogging, I'm just not good at keeping up with a personal blog.

Have a great day, whoever you are reading this!

No comments:

Post a Comment