Sunday, May 16, 2010

It's different when you're there the whole day.

SoS Week 1

I officially kicked off my summer of service by going on a field trip with my fifth graders as a chaperone. We went to Canaveral Seashore National Park in new Smyrna. There were about sixty students, two chaperones per class and the teacher. We got to get in the Mosquito Lagoon (a nursery) and net for baby water creatures. It was really neat to see the students engage in the activities. They take what they learn outside of the classroom and bring it back and vice versa, which is one of the main goals of education.
Day 3: The teacher was out today so naturally, we had a substitute. He was the most aggravating and incompetent substitute ever...he's been one for seven years, however, he is use to subbing for high schoolers and NOT fifth graders. He didn't realize that they need more attention, direction and discipline. He literally told me to "yell" at the kids too so that he doesn't always seem like the bad guy. HELLO!! Who is the sub here? Granted, I did have to step in because the students listened to me better than they did him. At one point he left me alone in the room with the kids so he could use the restroom (which he was not allowed to do) so I had to ask the teacher next door if I could leave the door open. Overall, it was a rough day, but I can't really expect too much more. Kids will react to the grown-up, but if the grow-up isn't doing his/her part then the reaction will be negative.
One day during lunch, the teacher and I were talking about the students and it was really discouraging to hear that she is able to pick out who will be successful and who will not. They are only fifth graders! Don't get me wrong...the teacher is one of the best. But she said that no matter how hard she tries in the classroom...there is only so much she can do because the kids go home to the same environment everyday. That is something she can't change.
The rest of the week went pretty well. I caught up the teacher with grading and helped her with other things in after-school care. The kids are getting use to the fact that I am there the whole day. They keep asking if I'm staying and if I'll be there tomorrow. It's only the beginning of May, yet I'm already sad that they are going off to middle school next fall. There's only about a month left.

No comments:

Post a Comment