Thursday, June 12, 2014

Rehoboth Children's Home

Week 1

With my first week at Rehoboth coming to a close in what seemed like the blink of an eye, I figured I should probably start writing down some of the things that have happened so far while they’re still fresh in my mind.



lol I'm not funny.



First off, a little bit of background: The Rehoboth Children’s home is one of three “branches” of an organization founded by Victor and Chici Barbella. In addition to the home, the Barbellas founded a Drug & Alcohol Rehabilitation Center for men and a Christian Church. The Barbellas have known me since I was born and have remained good family friends throughout the years. Because of this relationship, I was able to visit Rehoboth during my Junior year in High School. This trip lasted only 10 days but the impact that the kids at the home made on me would ensure my return.

Fast forward a couple years and I found myself with the perfect opportunity to reconnect with the Barbellas and the kids at the home: Bonner SoS! After contacting Chici, she confirmed that my help was needed as a mentor in the girls’ home. Currently there are only two girls at the home: Maria & Fernanda. They are both 14 and OBSESSED with learning how  to waltz (QuinceaƱera is coming up). 


Initially, I moved into the girls’ home and was sharing a room with the house mom (who is awesome) but she pretty much had everything under control so on Wednesday I moved into the boys’ home.

This first week we have been figuring out my schedule… I wake up @ 7 when the kids leave for school. After I shower, make my bed and have breakfast, I start on some office work. This week we are preparing for a group that is coming from FL (hollaaaa) to spend time with the kids and take them shopping. I’ve also been working on a new website, translating the kids’ letters to their sponsors, showing the staff how to use the Microsoft Suite etc. Around noon I help prepare the dining hall for lunch. The kids come back around 12:30 and the rest of the day is spent serving meals, helping with clean up, doing homework, playing soccer, reading, playing games……..drinking lots of coffee…….overseeing chores and bath time and just generally having a blast with the little ones because they are sooooo cute.



 
My favorite activity so far is homework time because I feel like I’ve been able to make some real progress with some of the kids. It’s interesting to see the difference between the kids in Guatemala and the kids at Chisholm because they are refreshingly eager to learn. When I assign the kids multiplication or division practice they run off to do it and come back for more… I know I for one was definitely not that eager for homework as a kid….lololol but it’s something I definitely admire in them.

Anyway this is becoming perilously long but it’s just so hard to condense an entire week into a tiny blog post so bear with me :P

Until later Goonies,

Bella

1 comment:

  1. Awesome job Bella! Your post entertains me and I'm happy to hear that your great!

    ReplyDelete