Saturday, June 28, 2014

Flagler Schools Summer Camp Week 2!

Happy weekend everyone!

This week at summer camp was a blast. I was able to solely lead a few different groups this week as we had counselors out sick. I really enjoyed getting to know all of the different groups and am noticing specific sort of personalities in each group. For instance, the kids in the Blue group are very curious and quiet, whereas the Purple group kids are very active and love high-intensity play. It has really been a test of my skills to be able to relate to each group of kids and keep them engaged according to their interests.

This week our field trip was at camp, and it was a visiting animal show called the Tree of Life; the kids absolutely LOVED it. They showed us a tortoise, tarantula, a hen, a small gecko, a ferret, a ball python, and an Australian hedgehog. We shared the space with the 4-5 camp, and I was actually surprised that I had to ask those older kids to be quiet more often than our kindergarteners! All in all, though, everyone learned a lot about different types of animals and our kids were thrilled that they could touch most of the animals.

Before the show, we had some extra time while the instructors set up, so I led all of K-1 in a rendition of Jay's "Rare Bog, Rattlin' Bog" song and dance and they went NUTS. Two weeks later we still hear that song being sung in the rooms every now and again. I even was requested to repeat the whole song on Friday before our movie. I was really embarrassed at first but knew it would be a nice activity to keep our kids up and moving and entertained while we waited. The version I found online went from the hole in the bog to the tree's branches and limbs all the way down to a rash on a tick, haha! It was really successful and it made me really happy to be able to give that small nod back to Jay.

On Friday our pool time was cancelled due to a lack of communication between the pool managers and our supervisor, but we still made the most out of a great day. Our kids continued their prince/princess theme for the week by making paper crowns in art and magic wands out of pretzels and frosting. Not the healthiest, but they sure had fun! I also found out on Friday that I will be getting my own group come Monday morning due to an overflow of kids, so look forward to hearing about that!

Bonner Love, and comment below if you remember any camp songs or games that you loved as a kid; I'd love to share them with my kids and carry on camp traditions!

No comments:

Post a Comment