Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Honor Baslim - Week 2

Hi friends,

So this may mean nothing to most people but I lunged my first horse EVER - which was a really freaking cool experience. Lunging is when you stand in the middle of a circle with a lunge line attached to the horses bridle (the leather straps on their head) and you use queue's - typically clucks, kisses, as well as words "trot", "whoa", "easy", etc. - to get the horse to do what you want - be it walk, trot, canter, stop, etc. So again, I stood in the middle of a circle with a thousand pound animal attached to a rope I was holding, running circles around me.


IT. WAS. AWESOME.

Now on a more service oriented note - one of our clients, we'll call him Tom, came in in quite the mood...
Tom

Spurs


Like pretty much EXACTLY like Donald above. I would figure Tom is probably about 4 or 5 years old, and he probably has some issues (like we all do) his are just a little more...lets say, loud, than the rest of ours. So we get him on Spurs (the horse) and he immediately tries to throw all 40 pounds he's got on to the ground. Therefore Tom needs two Sidewalkers to keep him firmly planted on the horse. For the first ten minutes of the lesson Tom screamed, cried, and tried to remove his helmet. Then something cool happened - while he was laying back on Spurs I asked him to sit up, he promptly said no, so I asked him for a high-five but told him he had to sit up to give it to me. I was genuinely surprised when he looked at me, and sat up and slapped my hand with his own sticky snot covered one. The rest of the lesson had a few more hiccups but for the most part he was actually engaged and I helped to keep him that way. It twas cool.

Will write again soon.


Bonner Love,
Honor

1 comment: