Monday, June 13, 2011

Week 1

Well, even after months of planning and double-checking there are still things you can't account for. My housing has now fallen through and with no A/C it's looking like a bad week. However, I will just finish my work pool-side in Naples instead of in DeLand, who can complain?

This summer I'm working on program development for Bonner. Sounds fancy, right? Actually, I've got a few ideas for projects for Bonner in the fall that I'd like to work on before we all get back to school.

First, I am going through different literature to present to Bonners for either Friday reflections or just as other sources for meetings. I have a few interesting books, Outcasts United and Stones Into Schools, that I'd like to work in some way and also a few books that offer short reflections or essays that really make you think about why we do what we do. This aspect is a lot of fun because essentially I can log hours for reading books I've always wanted to read while taking notes so we can hopefully use them later on.
Next, I am working on ideas and planning for the new student orientation and the Fall retreat. I have a great ICEBREAKER for us to play (I know everyone hates that word!). I'm also working on some B-Love projects for the summer and Fall. One of my major goals is keeping everyone connected in whatever way that may be.
Also, I'm working on an idea that would allow Bonner to be featured in the newspaper every week. If anyone wants to write articles, please let me know! Hopefully we can feature service sites, issue areas, and opportunities for other students. This is all part of my master plan that incorporates Bonner into Stetson more.
Finally, I'm working on 2 academic projects: the first is a book feast that will feature the book Outcasts United, which is an amazing story of a refugee soccer team in Georgia and a series of lectures throughout the year that Mary Kathryn and I are working on. The first one will be Service in Sports, hosted with the help of SMA (Sports Management Assoc.).

So those are my projects, can't wait to keep you updated.

1 comment: