Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Inter-Tribal Indians of NJ

Well my summer of service is probably a little bit different from everyone elses. I am the Vice President of a non profit organization called inter-Tribal Indians of new jersey. Originally this organization was created for social purposes. It was a way of Indians in NJ to gather, meet, and talk about issues. There are not a lot of American Indians in New Jersey, we could be described as being the minority of the minorities. Over time it has developed and grown. It is still an organization that encourages American Indians to meet up, however, we have dedicated a lot of our time in educating people about American Indians. In the past we have done presentations to boy/girl scout troops, schools, and nursing homes, about stereotypes, boarding schools, and traditions. However, we have been stuck in the past.

I have the unique opportunity to combine my summer of service with the per-research to my senior research project. I will be doing a ton of reading, researching the role of women in American Indian communities. However, while I am doing this, I am going to be revamping our presentations and trying to bring in a social media role into the organization. For example, FB page, twitter, etc. I also plan to put a lot of our presentations on power points. Because I am doing a heavy amount of research, I will be able to update our presentations. I also plan to put together a larger speakers bureau binder, where we will have access to academic articles about American Indians and their role in the media.

No comments:

Post a Comment